If my son was injured at restaurant, can I fine them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son was injured at restaurant, can I fine them?

My son slipped and fell at the restaurant, he got injured on his head.The manager’s took him to their first aid and the guy from first aid he said my boy doesn’t need to be stitched as this is a small wound but when I took him to the clinic the following day the nurse said he was suppose to be stitched the previous day because an open wound might get infection. The owner promised to call me but he never called me.I send an email to his head office to complain. That’s when he started to call me and apologized and gave me a meal voucher for $500.

Asked on January 20, 2017 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, to successfully sue, you'd have to prove they were at fault in causing the fall: the restaurant does not act as an "insurer" for its clients; they are only liable when they are at fault in causing the accident or injury. So you'd have to show something like your son slipped on a puddle of soup a waiter spilled and did not clean up, or a patron had spilled a glass of water, told the staff, but the staff refused or failed to clean it up in a reasonable time. Unless you can show that the restaurant was at fault in some way, they are not liable.
Second, even if they were at fault and liable, you can only recover money equivalent to the actual out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) medical costs you incurred and IF you son suffered significant disability, disfigurement, or life impairment lasting many months or more, some amount for "pain and suffering"--but if (as we hope) he is ok and just needed stitches, there is no point in suing--you'd spend more on the lawsuit than you'd get back. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption