If my son was in an ATV accident, was non-responsive, having a seizure but the passenger just left him there and did not call 911, is that legal?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son was in an ATV accident, was non-responsive, having a seizure but the passenger just left him there and did not call 911, is that legal?

Since then questions have arose and we are not sure that my son was driving who we thought was the passenger may have been driving. But if we can’t prove that they were driving are their charges for a passenger leaving someone in critical condition and not at least call 911. My son was barely breathing; paramedics had to work hard and fast to get him intibated. He was on life support for 3 weeks, in a coma for 3 months and he is now incapacitated and unable to walk or talk.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the other person was driving or somehow responsible for the crash, then he or she could be liable for leaving your son.  However, if the other person was merely a passenger, there is generally no duty to come to the aid of another person.  Even if the other person is partly or fully liable, you have to consider whether they have insurance or assets to pay damages.  I would encourage you to consult with a personal injury attorney and give him or her all the facts.  Personal injury attorneys do not charge for consultations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption