Is my son legally responsible for a loan that he signed for when he was only 17 years old?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is my son legally responsible for a loan that he signed for when he was only 17 years old?

My son signed a school loan when he went to a technical school in AZ he was a few months short of 18 years old.

Asked on July 29, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son wanted to get out of a loan that he entered into when he was a minor then he most likley would be able to cancel it provided he returns the benefits reecived from the loan because in most states minors are deemed incapable of entering into a contract.

However, if your son received monies from this loan which he applied for and received when he was a minor, he is legally obligated to pay back the loan. Minors can be sued for wrongs committed when they are minors or for obligations that they entered into where benefits are received. The theory for repayment is called "unjust enrichment". The rationale is that a benefit was given to a minor. If the minor wants out of the agreement, the benefits need to be returned.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption