What canI do if my son says he doesn’t like or want to be around my soon-to-be ex-wife’s boyfriend?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if my son says he doesn’t like or want to be around my soon-to-be ex-wife’s boyfriend?

Me and my wife are going through a divorce. She already has a full-time boyfriend that is at her house all the time, or her and the kids are at his. When my son is made to go to her boyfriend’s house he is forced to sleep on the couch. My son isn’t comfortable around him and has told me he doesn’t like or want to be around him. My son and I both have tried to talk to the soon to be ex wife about it but she refuses to hear either of us.

Asked on August 28, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is hard to read between the lines here.  What is it exactly that you want to do about this all?  Do you want your soon to be ex wife NOT to take the kids over there or do you want your son not to have to go?  Would you rather that he be able to come and stay with you?  If that is the case then you need to vocalize this issue before the divorce is finalized. How old is your son?  If he is old enough to voice his concerns in a logical and calm manner to a Judge he will be heard.  It is an uncomfortable situation and he would prefer to be with you.  Not I don't like him and he is mean.  Speak with your lawyer.  I think you have a valid concern here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption