If my son’s mother has just gotten out of jail and has medically neglected him, what do I do next

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son’s mother has just gotten out of jail and has medically neglected him, what do I do next

My son’s mother has been in jail and I have been taken care of my 8 month old son for about two weeks. I took him to several doctor’s appointments only to find that his immunizations are not up to date due to the fact that his mother skips doctor appointments. My son has a medical condition requiring that he be taken to the doctor’s periodically and she has missed key appointments. She currently has him only eating a low-iron formula, when the doctor has explained to me that he can eat normal formula and actually needs all of the nutrients he can have.

Asked on August 28, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you take your son to a child nutritionist to have him evaluated and placed on a diet that suits his needs after you have had his immunizations updated. Give the mother the nutritional plan for your child and hope that she abides by it. Another option is for the child's physician to have a meeting with both you and the mother to go over what is best for your son.

From what you have written, you do not have a legal matter yet with the mother.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption