What should we do if my son rear-ended a car in traffic and the police said there was no damage but the other driver wants money for his lost wages?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should we do if my son rear-ended a car in traffic and the police said there was no damage but the other driver wants money for his lost wages?

The driver of the other car called the police. However, when they arrived they said it was only a 5mph collision and there was no damage so no charges were filed. Since there was no damage, we didn’t contact our insurer. This afternoon, a week later, the driver of the car showed up on our front door asking for $125 in lost wages. He said he’ll come back tomorrow at 3 pm since my son was not home.

Asked on October 17, 2014 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can ignore him if you believe that he is lying and did not lose any wages; you don't have to pay simply because someone asks you. He could try suing you after that, such as in small claims court, but the onus would be on him to initiate the suit; and to win, he'd have to be able to prove in court that you son was at fault (which he probably was, if he rear-ended another car; the rear drivers in such collisions are almost always considered at fault) AND that he (the other driver) lost wages as a direct and reasonable/foreseeable result of the collision. Unless he can prove both things, he cannot recover money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption