What do I do if my son minor is in his late grandfather’s Will but relatives have not contacted him?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my son minor is in his late grandfather’s Will but relatives have not contacted him?

His grandfather informed us that he changed his Will and that my son was in it. The mother of the deceased and her children seem to be keeping this hush, and will not give us any information. I am unsure of what the protocol is from here. My son’s grandfather passed away over 90 days ago.

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your son is a beneficiary under his grandfather's Will then he should receive notice of same. It is still soon.  A Will is probated in the county in which the decedent resided at the time of his death.  So the Will is filed there and once filed it is a public record for all to see.  You can start there but also consider hiring an attorney to write a letter to the executor to inquire.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption