What can we do if my son may have been fired unlawfully?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if my son may have been fired unlawfully?

He was let go because he has 3 sips of a beer while picking up lunch with a friend. He’s a salaried employee but does have a right to a lunch break. He was not driving, his co-worker was. He does not drive or operate any company vehicles. he was not on the property when he had the beer. And he certainly was not intoxicated. He was not given any form of sobriety test, he was sent home. There is a drug and alcohol rule in our employee hand book, none of which issues are mentioned. The total opposite. He was not consuming on company property, he was not driving at all that alone a company vehicle and he was not intoxicated. Was he unlawfully discharged?

Asked on April 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless your son's discharge violated the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, or in some way constituted actionable discrimination, it was legal. The fact is that most employment is "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. Accordingly, a worker can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption