What to do if my son has not been charged with anything but they want him to do a program through probation?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son has not been charged with anything but they want him to do a program through probation?

They are telling him if he does a “diversion” program they won’t charge him. They want to charge him with burglary and petty theft but he didn’t steal anything and didn’t break into anything. He took $2 from a kid who stole money from a locker. he opened a locker in the YMCA locker room that didn’t have a lock on it. When he saw there was something in there, he closed it. The kids he was with stole a phone and $24 from lockers in the YMCA. My son only took $2 that they offered him after the other kids had stolen the money.

Asked on August 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible with respect to the situation that your son has gotten himself into. The last thing that you want is a juvenile criminal matter filed against him for burglary and/or theft.

Possibly attending some "diversion" program for your son may lead to him making wiser choices as to who he associates with and will make him more aware of not getting himself into a bad situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption