Do I have a chance at getting my son out of his mother’s care, if he is a diabetic but she is not properly monitoring his condition?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a chance at getting my son out of his mother’s care, if he is a diabetic but she is not properly monitoring his condition?

My son has been diagnosed 3 years ago with type 1 diabetes. He lives with his mother. In the last 14 months he has been admitted to the hospital in a coma like state. I have found that this has been caused due to her lack of management to his blood surgar levels. I have found also there are missed appointments and not following his doctor requests. I want to go for custody before my child is dead.

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your son's condition.

There are two types of custody, which are physical custody and legal custody.  Physical custody means the parent with whom the child resides.  Legal custody means making decisions about the child's healthcare, education, etc.

The court considers what is in the best interest of the child in making decisions about custody.  Although it is not possible to predict the outcome of a particular case, you have strong arguments supporting a modification of custody in which you may be awarded sole physical custody.  You would file an Order to Show Cause (court form) requesting a modification of custody and a supporting declaration of the reasons for requesting a modification of custody.  Your argument would be the health and life of your child are at risk if you are not granted immediate physical custody.  You sign the declaration under penalty of perjury  and file it with your Order to Show Cause and a proof of service with the court.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing a copy of your documents to your ex.  You can either use a court form proof of service or you can write your own.  If you write your own proof of service, it just says that you are at least eighteen and the attached documents were sent via first class mail unless stated otherwise to __________ (name and address of your ex) on _______ (date).  You sign and date at the bottom.  The date you sign should be the same as the date of mailing and the same date you file your documents with the court.  When an Order to Show Cause is filed with the court, the court schedules a hearing.  It would be advisable to speak with the court clerk and find out if it is possible to expedite this procedure given the urgency of the situation.  You may be able to appear ex-parte before the judge who may have ex-parte hearings each week.  Ex-parte means that only one party is appearing before the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption