What to do if my son has a battery charge in juvenile court and the prosecutor has offered a plea?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my son has a battery charge in juvenile court and the prosecutor has offered a plea?

If my son pleads No Contest to the battery charge they will drop all charges do a Null process on the plea and close the case if he completes a class called MALES/SWEAT, 6 months probation, 24 hours of community service, and complete a psychological evaluation, and letter to victims. What I am concerned about is how the psych evaluation and how it could hurt my son and once the case is dropped what does that mean for my son’s record for the future. What does dropping all charges and closing the case do for his record for future work, career and education?

Asked on December 16, 2013 under Criminal Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the court drops charges, this is like an alternative conviction. The matter will be dismissed like he never pled guilty to begin with. This means on the record, the plea will be withdrawn if he completes ALL of the conditions and then the matter will be dismissed. In normal background checks (think like normal jobs without higher education), it most likely will not come up in any background check  However, anything subject to an FBI check will come up. So you will need to consult with your counsel about eligibility in your state of any expungement to completely erase this record from all sources. As to the pysch evaluation, that is considered confidential.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption