If my son and his girlfriend have been living in my house for 3 months, do I need to give them notice to leave?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my son and his girlfriend have been living in my house for 3 months, do I need to give them notice to leave?

They had to buy their own food but because of increased utilities starting last week, they were to pay $60 a week rent. They paid last week but now are refusing to pay. I’m looking for work and can’t afford the increased expenses.

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your son and his girlfriend have been living in your home and are adults, presumably they are tenants since you wanted $60.00 rental from them per week. Since they have not paid what you have requested, I suggest that if you want the $60.00 weekly or want them to leave you either serve them with a 3 day notice to pay or quit (this gives them the chance to pay what is owed), or serve them with a written 30 day notice to terminate their tenancy.

The 30 day notice is your intent that you want them out after 30 days. If your son and his girlfriend fail to comply with any of the suggested notices, you will need to file an unlawful detainer action to evict them. For that, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption