If my sister was my father’s POA before his death, how can I get an accounting of her transactions while POA?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister was my father’s POA before his death, how can I get an accounting of her transactions while POA?

According to the lawyer my sister hired to execute the Trust, the checking accounts and car are not listed as assets. A brokerage account and house are in the Trust. My sister will not speak with me. And the lawyer has not yet responded to my query. I believe she would hide assets if she thought she could get away with it,.

Asked on June 12, 2014 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the troubles you seem to be having.  As you know, a POA dies with the principal for whom it is enacted (your Dad) but the fiduciary responsibility can still be questioned.  It sounds as if you are going to need a lawyer to help with all of this and you are going to have to go to some one on your own. And pay them.  If there are non trust assets then an estate needs to be probated. You need to get all the details to better know how to handle the situation.  And your lawyer can help you demand an fiduciary accounting when your sister was POA.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption