What to do if my sister’s car was parked when a garbage truck sideswiped it?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister’s car was parked when a garbage truck sideswiped it?

The damages run from the driver’s side door all the way through to the front bumper. My sister got the driver’s attention and exchanged information and he left the scene. She called the police and filed a report 30 minutes afterwards. The officer tried to contact the driver but to no avail. My sister was advised to call the garbage truck company insurance to report the accident to them for a claim. They said they will have to get in touch with the driver in order to proceed. It has been almost 2 weeks since my sister spoke with the other driver’s insurance company and no response. What should be done at this point so my sister can at least collect money for the damages?

Asked on July 1, 2014 under Accident Law, Iowa


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the company does not contact her, she should report it to her own insurer to  let them seek indmnificatoin from the company or she could file an action in Small Claims Court if the damages fall within the parmeters of small claims court. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption