If my sister lent her husband’s business money and they are now divorcing, how can she go about getting that money returned.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister lent her husband’s business money and they are now divorcing, how can she go about getting that money returned.

My sister was a W2 employee in her husband’s business. She made purchases for the company on her credit card when his cash flow was in trouble, $38,000. They are now divorcing. He is refusing spousal support etc. What should she do to have the $38k repaid?

Asked on August 2, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your sister needs to get an attorney as soon a she possibly can.  She needs to establish that the money that she charged on her credit card (which is in her name only, correct?) was incurred for the benefit of the business. And the business is not her husband's business, it is a marital asset or a portion of it is if it was started during the marriage or she contributed to it (the $38K), to be divided.  He can refuse spousal support but if the factors the court considers warrant it - even for a little while - then it can be ordered.  Please, have her get help from a really good and qualified attorney to help with this.  Good luck to her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption