If my sister is the trustee for my late father’s Trust, can she withhold the funds from me?

UPDATED: May 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister is the trustee for my late father’s Trust, can she withhold the funds from me?

He died and left us each a specific amount of money. My sister does not want to distribute the funds, as they are being used to pay for my mom’s nursing care.

Asked on May 10, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is no general answer to your question, because each trust is governed by its own terms--by the terms, that is, of the documents setting it up. The trustee has whatever power and discretion to make decisions that the trust documents give her; and she must also exercise her power, including making distributions from the trust, in accordance with the terms of the trust. She may not use the trust for anything beyond what the money was authorized for. Therefore, to answer your question, you need to bring a copy of the trust papers to a trusts and estates attorney, who can review it with you and determine what the trustee can and cannot do with the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption