If my sister is my elderly mother’s POA, are others siblings entitled to make decisions forher care needs?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister is my elderly mother’s POA, are others siblings entitled to make decisions forher care needs?

My sister only allows things to be done for my mother that in her opinion should be done. I wanted to get my mother a free cell phone as a back-up because she still lives on her own. My sister would not give it to me because she didn’t think it would work. My mother was visiting her and she would not let me talk to her or my daughter who sits with my mother.

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Estate Planning, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Only someone with a POA or appointed as a person's legal guardian can make decisions for him or her...being a child does not, by itself, empower you to make those decisions.

2) Someone with a POA has to exercise it in the best interests of the person who granted the power. If you believe that your sister is harming your mother's interests--not merely making different decisions than you would like--speak with an attorney specializing in elder or health care law about whether it may be  possible to overturn the POA and have someone else appointed as guardian.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption