What to do if my sister is going through a divorce her husband has an expired green card?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister is going through a divorce her husband has an expired green card?

He was told if he tries to renew he could be denied because of criminal activity. My sister knew nothing about all of this prior to the short marriage of less than a year. Since she is technically still married but legal divorce papers have been served, can he still use her as his spouse to try to gain legal residency?

Asked on March 10, 2013 under Immigration Law, Florida


Byron Mobley / The Law Office of Byron Mobley

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he has already adjusted status then he has gained legal residency.  While the basis for his residency was the marriage once he has completed the adjustment procesthis no longer matters - he is on his own.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption