My sister has a trailer on my property how can I get her off

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My sister has a trailer on my property how can I get her off

There’s work I have to do on water
sewage and driveway but she will
not leave in the work will take a
while how do I get her off

Asked on March 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If she is not a part owner of the property and not paying you rent for occupancy (and so not a tenant) she is only a "guest." A guest can be asked to leave at any time on proper written notice (reasonable notice; if a trailer must be removed, it may be 30-60 day, or more, notice). If she does not leave when required, you can bring a lawsuit called an action "for enactment" (eviction for nontenants) to remove her.
While you definitely have the right to remove her, an action for enactment and the notice required are very "technical" in that a minor error forces you to start over. You are advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption