If my sister died intestate, how do I get the ability to settle her final financial affairs?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister died intestate, how do I get the ability to settle her final financial affairs?

Her estate is of no real value. We (my sisters and I) had to clean out her apartment, we donated the clothes, split up the housewares. We came together and donated her body to science.

Asked on November 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If your sister died with out a Will she is said to have died "intestate" and the  intestacy laws in the state would govern the distribution of her estate.  It sounds as if you have all have come together as a family to do this anyway but one of you needs to be appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate in order to finalize her affairs.  You would probably be able to file under an expedited process by filing a Small Estate proceeding. You file in the Probate court in the county in which she resided at the time of her death.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption