If my sister and cousin are being kicked out of the house they are renting, what can they do to prevent this?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my sister and cousin are being kicked out of the house they are renting, what can they do to prevent this?

My sister and cousin rented a house; the owner is now giving them until the end of the month to leave the house because he wants a family to live in the house which my sister is renting. They pay rent but there is no legal contract.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your sister and cousin do not have a written lease, then they are considered to be month-to-month tenants. Accordingly, their landlord can give them notice to move (typically 30 days written). This can be for any reason or for no reason at all.

The fact is that a landlord is in business; if they want to get a higher rental for their property that is perfectly permissible. This is true so long as proper notice is given. Of course, if they had a formal lease things would be different.

At this point, they can check with a tenant's rights organization for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption