My significant other and I have Wills and POA’s, we both have the same one.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My significant other and I have Wills and POA’s, we both have the same one.

There has been some problems that have come up and now no longer feel comfortable with the son who is the POA. We want to remove him and appoint another son for medical and a granddaughter on everything else. How do we do that legally in Mn. Our Eldercare attorney had to retire due to medical issues. Can we print out the forms to remove and add someone else from online? Do we have to notify the son being removed? Does the new paperwork simply get notarized and added to our wills or have to be filed somewhere else. We are seniors living on very little SS. So the firm our retired attorney sent us to wants to do it all over . We can’t afford it

Asked on July 12, 2019 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way is to simply draft a new power of attorney--and you can use forms available online for it--and make sure it is properly signed, witnessed, and notarized according to your state's laws (e.g. the same way the existing POA was signed, witnessed, etc.). The new POA should say--so you may need to add a paragraph to a "standard" form--that it revokes all prior POAs, including specifically the one are looking to invalidate (e.g. "the power of attorney signed on" such and such date, or the "power o of attorney naming" your son as your attorney in fact). You should then circulate copies of it to your son, to any other family members who should know, and also to your bank, accountant, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption