If my roommatesboyfriend brings drugs into the house, is this a justifiable reason to break my lease?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommatesboyfriend brings drugs into the house, is this a justifiable reason to break my lease?

I just signed a 1-year lease with my roommate. Before signing the lease she and I had a verbal agreement that we would not allow illegal substances into our home. She now has a new boyfriend who smokes and deals marijuana and I have caught him smoking in the house and leaving large amounts of marijuana out for anyone to see. I have asked her to not bring it into the house numerous times and even spoke with him to no avail. Is this enough reason to break the lease?

Asked on December 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you and your roommate have a verbal agreement of no illegal substances such as marijuana in your rental and she is allowing her boyfriend to bring marijuana into the rental you have a factual basis for ending your lease for a material breach of the contract by your roommate.

To set forth a better foundation for any basis to end your lease with the roommate over the issue you are writing about, I would send her an e mail confriming your oral agreement with her about the illegal substances being brought into the home by the boyfriend and the need for it to immediately stop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption