If my roommates are filing for bankruptcy and I am on the lease, how will this effect me?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommates are filing for bankruptcy and I am on the lease, how will this effect me?

And what is my best course of action?

Asked on June 22, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the rent is not paid as per the lease, the landlord may evict anyone who does not have a stay due to filing bankruptcy; so if the rent isn't being paid, if you have not filed for bankruptcy, you could be evicted. (Note: the landord could also sue you for the rent.) The stay your roommates will get from eviction due to filing bankruptcy is not forever; in landlord-tenant cases, it usually only stops evictions for a matter of weeks, or sometimes a few months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption