If my roommate is in a psych ward for a suicide attempt and violence towards others, can I renew the lease without her?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate is in a psych ward for a suicide attempt and violence towards others, can I renew the lease without her?

My roommate both of us are on the lease has tried committing suicide several times. She  cuts herself, has attacked her boyfriend and has been in 2 psych wards over the past 2months. She is in one now and our lease ends at the end of the month. I want to renew but without her. She may fight me for this and I want to know my rights in NYC for this situation. She was released from one psych ward and 40 minutes later attacked her therapist and was hauled off in hand-cuffs to Bellevue.

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the lease that you and your roommate who has had difficulties of late is up soon, you can renew the lease on your own behalf at this time. If you renew the lease to ensure a place to live, you can have your roommate added as an additional signatory after she is in better shape if you wish to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption