If my roommate and I moved in together a year ago but my name is not on the lease, am I liable for the rest of the rent for the year?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate and I moved in together a year ago but my name is not on the lease, am I liable for the rest of the rent for the year?

I moved out.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would not be liable to the landlord, since you were not a lessee (not on the written lease). However, you may be liable to your roommate, if there was an agreement between you that you would pay rent. That said, if the agreement between you and your roommate was an oral (sometimes incorrectly called verbal) agreement, you were a month-to-month subtenant, and would only be liable for 30 days of rent (or have to provide 30 days notice before moving  out). If there was a written agreement between you and the roommate on the lease, then the terms of that agreement would be enforceable, so in that case, you could be liable for rent for a longer period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption