If my roommate andI just moved into our apartment andit was broken into, can we move out without being penalties for breakingthe lease?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate andI just moved into our apartment andit was broken into, can we move out without being penalties for breakingthe lease?

Just moved in 2 weeks ago. Our apartment was recently burglarized. We don’t feel safe there anymore and want to move out. We have a 1 year lease.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only way that you and your roommate have a basis for ending your lease early without any penalty for future rent owed to the landlord is if the landlord knew before you entered into the lease that the rental was in a high crime area and failed to advise you of this material fact.

I suggest that absent any proof of this, you contact your landlord about your concerns and inquire if he or she would be willing to sign a release as to your future obligations under the lease due to the crime issue. If so, problem solved. If not, I would ask the landlord to provide additional safety features for the rental such as dead bolts and window restraints and follow up the request in writing while keeping a copy of the letter for future reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption