What can I do if my roommate moved out took all of her stuff but is threatening to get a copy of the key and enter?

UPDATED: May 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my roommate moved out took all of her stuff but is threatening to get a copy of the key and enter?

Her name is still on the lease but she is not paying rent. She moved out 45 days ago. She has no business coming into my home now that she has left. I am already taking her to small claims court the the rent she refuses to pay. But I am afraid she will damage or steal my things.

Asked on May 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Until and unless she is evicted, she has a right to enter the premises (your home) unless she clearly surrendered (or gave up possession) or unless she was actually evicted. Moving out, by itself, is not necessarily enough to show that she surrendered possession--people can rent premises they do not actively live in, for example. What would be required for this is a clear demonstration that she left intending, at that time, to give up her right to the premises.

If you are the landlord (you say it is your home), and she clearly surrendered possession, you could bar her access; be aware that if she disputes this, you may end up in court having to show she surrendered her right to possession. Or you could bring an eviction action against her for nonpayment of rent,  to get a judgment of possession cutting off any rights she may have. (This might be the best thing to do, to leave no question as to her lack of right to enter.)

If you are not the landlord, but rather are a co-tenant, you have a problem: only the landlord, not a fellow tenant, can evict a tenant or otherwise bar her access, such as if the tenant surrendered possession. Co-tenants may not keep their fellow tenants out. So if you are a tenant and not the landlord, you could ask the landlord to take action, such as to evict her, but you cannot yourself keep her out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption