If my roommate changed the locks and notified me to move my stuff out, did she break the lease?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate changed the locks and notified me to move my stuff out, did she break the lease?

My roommate and I have not been getting along. I let a friend into my apartment to do laundry while I was not there. My roommate became very upset and changed door locks while I was away on a trip. She told me to move my stuff out. Am I obligated to pay anymore rent after I move out?

Asked on March 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your roomate has NO right to make you move out:

1) If you and your roomate are both on the lease, then you have a right to reside in that apartment. Only the landlord could evict you, and only for proper grounds (violating the lease, not paying rent, etc.) and only through a court proceeding. You still have to pay rent to the landlord, since the landlord has not violated the lease; therefore, not only can your roommate not through you out, but every day you let her keep you away, you are paying rent for an apartment you're not using.

2) If your roomate is your landlord (i.e. you're subletting from her), then she still only evict you for proper reasons, such as breach of the lease or nonpayment--and even for those reasons, she has to go through the courts and do it the right way. Simply changing the locks on a tenant is illegal, and you could sue her to get back into the apartment and for damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption