If my roommate has refused to pay her share of the rent and now I am being evicted, can I get the eviction expunged from my record?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate has refused to pay her share of the rent and now I am being evicted, can I get the eviction expunged from my record?

I had even paid $500 of her share to try to avoid the eviction.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately if you are being evicted from the rental that you share with your roommate you may or may not even have a negative mark on your credit report as a result of the proceeding due to the fact that your roommate has not paid her share of the rent.

One option of trying to resolve the situation is to have a face to face meeting with your landlord about you paying the monthly rent while he or she evicts your roommate who is not paying what is owed while you look to find a replacement roommate for her.

Another option to save your credit is to possibly sub-lease the rental to some third party who can make the monthly payments to your landlord.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption