If our residence is in one state but my husband is a a temporary assignment in another, where do I serve him?

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our residence is in one state but my husband is a a temporary assignment in another, where do I serve him?

Can I serve him there or does it have to be here? What about jurisdiction? We are not on speaking terms, so I do not want him to come here.

Asked on January 21, 2013 under Family Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can have him served where ever he can be located.  Considering that he is out-of-state, you should call the clerk's in the state and county where he resides to see who normally serves documents in that jurisdiction.  Usually, it's the Sheriff. However, some jurisdictions have very efficient process servers that you can also hire.  The main thing is that he receives notice of the suit.... not where he receives it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption