My question is if weather or not i have a chance to fight this and win in court

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My question is if weather or not i have a chance to fight this and win in court

I in the passionger side of my buddys
car. When we got pulled over for
speeding. While being pulled over the
office saw a jar in the back seat. the
Officers ask us to step out. We did so
and the car was searched and the office
found 2 pipes and a grind. None o which
were mine nor did i have knowledge of
these being in the car. I told the
office this along with my buddy saying
the paraphernalia was his yet i was
still issued citations for possession
of marijuana and possession of

Asked on January 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The standard of proof or evidence required to write you a citation is much less than to convict you, so they can cite you if there is some reason to think it was yours or under your control as well. However, to actually convict you, they would need to prove "beyond a reasonable" doubt that it was yours, which may be very difficult to do if your friend is admitting it was his. Indeed, based on his admission, it may be possible to get the case dismissed without ever going to trial, if the police can't produce enough evidence suppporting their position to justify going ahead. You should retain a criminal defense lawyer, who may be able to get this case thrown out for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption