My question is about a bonus being potentially owed from an employer after my position was “eliminated”.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My question is about a bonus being potentially owed from an employer after my position was “eliminated”.

My position was eliminated for budget reasons, 26 days before the end of the fiscal yr. I had a severance agreement, which is being paid, but I also had a bonus agreement that I would get a certain %, which is paid the first month of the new fiscal year. In light of the economy, my employer wasn’t sure any bonuses would be paid out this year, but I know that all other bonuses were paid. Can I go after this bonus, being that I was eliminated without cause, and worked the entire year except the last 26 days? I am still getting severance, so technically I am still on the payroll even now.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is take your severance agreement and bonus agreement to an attorney to read.  Either or both of the agreements may have information in them that answer this question.  If neither does or if they conflict on the issue then the lawyer will be able to let you know how the courts will view the matter should you decide to sue.  Sometimes a well written letter from an attorney to your employer is all you would need.  If the bonus is substantial it is worth the effort.  You can look here at to begin your search.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption