What to do if a previous employer asks for tuition money to be reimbursed after more than 1 1/2 years?

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a previous employer asks for tuition money to be reimbursed after more than 1 1/2 years?

My previous job paid for my tuition (to get my MBA). When I left 19 months ago they never asked for it. Now they have come back and want $10,000 back. Yet, when I left the company I mentioned to HR about the tuition and the answer was it is OK, don’t worry about it. I thought they would keep my bonus for the tuition. Also 2 months before I decided to leave I talked to my boss about my development plan and his suggestions to me was it is better for you to leave if you want to move up.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is, what were the terms between you and the employer *before* they committed to paying for you and you agreed to let them pay. If the agreement had been that if they paid for your tuition, you would have to reimburse it unless you worked for a certain minimum period of time afterwards, that would be enforceable--it's actually a very common term.

However, the employer cannot change the terms under which they provided tuition reimbursement after the fact. So if at the time they choose to reimburse you and you accepted the reimbursement, there was no repayment obligation on you, they can't impose one now.

The controlling issue, therefore, will be what did you and your employer agree to at the time they offered you reimbursement; that agreement is what can be enforced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption