If my police job suspects me of altering a doctor’s note and are demanding I take a polygraph test tomorrow, what do I do?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my police job suspects me of altering a doctor’s note and are demanding I take a polygraph test tomorrow, what do I do?

I have submitted info requested that are both department policy required and are not. They have called the hospital to verify treatment. In which I advised them I was not treated by seeing a doctor, I received medical advice and per the advice I got a note. Based on that their suspicions they have suspended me, opened an internal investigation, and are demanding a polygraph.

Asked on August 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country, the results of a polygraph test are not admissible in court to prove guilt or lack of guilt concerning a crime. I suggest that you consult with a labor attorney about the polygraph test. My suggestion is that you not take the test and simply request that your employer contact the person who wrote the note that you submitted to verify signature, date and contents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption