If my parents want to get a restraining order against my boyfriend, can they do it?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents want to get a restraining order against my boyfriend, can they do it?

I’m 16 years old and he is 19. We have been together over a year now and my parents are just now deciding they don’t like him. He has never hit me or threatened my life or my family. We do have sex though. I just want to know if he could get in trouble, and if my parents can get a restraining order?

Asked on August 2, 2011 West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your parents can make trouble for him.  He is considered an adult. And you are considered a minor and becuase of that they - your parents - have certain rights to protect you against what they perceive to be harm.  And because the two of you are intimate, he could get in to even bigger trouble than I am sure that you can imagine, which could result in his being convicted of what is known as a sex crime.  If that happens he could have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.  He is so young too.  It will make fir a horrible life for him.  So please, think twice about things at this point in time.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption