If my parents passed away in a housefire and everything was destroyed, how do I find their Will?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents passed away in a housefire and everything was destroyed, how do I find their Will?

Also, what is probate? Finally, I was wondering if suing the manufacturer of the space heater that caused it would be possible to help pay for expenses?

Asked on December 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Wills are often filed, but do not have to be: you should contact the county surrogate (probate) court and inquire into whether it was and how you would go about obtaining it if it had been filed.

If you know your parents' attorney, you can also try contacting the lawyer--most lawyers will keep copies of wills they create.

Probate is the process of verifying and validating the will, and seeing to its administration.

As to the space heater: the issue is whether the fire was caused due to a design or manufacture fault in the space heater (that is, in one way or another, it was made incorrectly), in which case the manufacturer may be liable; or whether it was due to damage that occured after purchase (e.g. the wire became frayed over time) or improper use (e.g. used too close to flammable cloth or liquid), in which case the manufacturer would not be liable. Try speaking with a product's liability lawyer  (or personal injury attorney, if you can't find a lawyer specializing in products liability) to discuss the situation and whether you have a viable case.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption