How do be provide proof of continuous residence?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do be provide proof of continuous residence?

My parents have been permanent residents for over 5 years. They are applying for citizenship this year. During the first 2 years after getting the green cards they traveled outside of the US 2 times for longer than 6 months but less than a year. They lived with my sister while here and she claimed them as dependents on her taxes. Can we use her taxes as proof of continous residence? If not what other dociumentation could we use for that purpose? They did not pay rent or earn any income.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your family's taxes is definitely helpful proof. Other proof includes bills in their names, magazines, telephones, any evidence of them being here and obtaining items here. Copies of their passports and drivers licenses should help in this endeavor. Affidavits (notarized) of individuals who know them here and know they actually live in the U.S. These affidavits must be and should be from people who are unrelated to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption