If my brother signed the bill for our parent’s funeral expenses, can hesuehis siblingsfor their “share” of the bill?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother signed the bill for our parent’s funeral expenses, can hesuehis siblingsfor their “share” of the bill?

There are 3 other siblings involved.

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


Jonathan Griffin / Griffin Law, PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not unless there was an actual agreement (it could be verbal as long as each party had a meeting of the minds as to the agreement) between the siblings to share the costs. Even then, the brother who signed for the funeral expenses is the only one olibligated to the funeral home.

Of course, the funeral contract could include langauge that the estate is responsible. But it would only be valid if the signing broter was the executor of the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption