If my nephew was terminated and his employer refuses to pay his last week of wor, what recourse does he have?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my nephew was terminated and his employer refuses to pay his last week of wor, what recourse does he have?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your nephew can sue his employer for the amount owed.  The lawsuit can be filed in Small Claims Court.  Your nephew's damages (the amount of compensation he is seeking in his lawsuit against the employer) would be the amount owed plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

If your nephew is a minor, he won't be able to file the lawsuit himself, but his parent or another adult could be appointed guardian ad litem to file the lawsuit on his behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption