What can we do if our neighbors won’t move a shed that is encroaching on our property?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if our neighbors won’t move a shed that is encroaching on our property?

We had our land surveyed last week and the neighbor’s shed is 5 ft on our land. We went to the planning office and were told that it was trespassing and to call the police. So we did and they went over and asked our neighbors to move it, although they couldn’t force them to. The shed was up before we bought our property 5 years ago and they bought there home a year later. We told them it was on our land last year and they said prove it. When my husband told them they had 5 days and they still did not move it, they told us to sue them. Can we legally do to move it?

Asked on July 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Wel  the planning office was correct.  The encroachment is a trespass on the land and you can indeed bring an action to have them remove the shed.  And you really should consider doing it.  What I worry about is something known as adverse possession where a party knows that the property was not theirs and ties to possess it anyway.  There are many factors that need to be determined in adverse possession and although the facts here do not necessarily add up to it, it is always the unstated facts that matter.  So go and see a real estate attorney in your area as soon as you can.  Make sure that you discuss what the fees for the action would be.  Maybe ask them to start off writing a letter to see if that gets the neighbors moving.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption