If my neighbor vandalizes my car, damages my property and throws garbage in my yard, can I sue them?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my neighbor vandalizes my car, damages my property and throws garbage in my yard, can I sue them?

I asked him to stay out of my yard, then had a survey done to establish property lines. Before I could permanently mark the line, he stole the stakes. I put stakes and string up to make a chalk line; he pulled them out with his garden trimmer. I put in railroad ties at the edge of my property, and he has moved them to make his yard bigger. He burns garbage in his wood-burning stove (in the house) instead of paying for pick up. He has a screaming child and three continually-barking dogs that run loose, even though he has a fence. Can I sue the homeowner and force him to move?

Asked on July 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written about concerning the difficult neighbor that you have and the damage that he has done to your property, you have a factual and legal basis to bring a lawsuit against him.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who has experience in real estate law about your problem and see what legal recourse you may have. As to forcing the bad neighbor to move, the courts in this country do not have the power to order such a remedy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption