If my neighbor had his property surveyed andhis fence is on my property, what can I do?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my neighbor had his property surveyed andhis fence is on my property, what can I do?

These are both vacant lots and mine is for sale. I offered to have him remove the fence, purchase the land he’s on, purchase the lot, or I would purchase his lot. No response. What is my next step and in what court should I file?

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can seek a court order forcing him to remove the fence (and once you sue him, it's possible may be willing to consider one of the other alternatives). You would bring a lawsuit in your county court, since you are looking for an equitable remedy (a court order, or injunction), and municipal and small claims courts cannot grant those. You would need surveys, title, etc. as evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption