What happens to my inheritance if my mother remarried?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens to my inheritance if my mother remarried?

My mother and father wrote a Will stating that I would receive the full inheritance if something were to happen to them. My father since has passed and my mother remarried. Does her getting remarried void the Will and entitle her new husband to the property or is the Will still in effect?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are certain rights that a spouse has over children.  They have a right to inherit anything that is jointly held with their spouse.  They have a right to a certain amount of the estate of their spouse before the children are considered.  So your Father's estate probably passed to your Mother upon his death.  What your Mother did with that inheritance will determine if you inherit when she passes.  I think that you should speak with her about your concerns.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption