What to do if my mother recently passed away and my older sister, who had POA, continues to spend from my mother’s accounts?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother recently passed away and my older sister, who had POA, continues to spend from my mother’s accounts?

My mother was in a nursing home (dementa/Ahlzheimers). Can my sister continue to due this? There was a living Will but no Will for after death. What should happen after death of a person with no Will? Am I entitled to 50% of estate? There are no other siblings.

Asked on December 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Power of Attorney has no meaning after death.  If your mother had no will, then her assets will pass according to your state's law of intestacy.  In most if not all states, if you mother died with no husband and two children, the assets will be divided equally between the two of you (unless there was another sibling who predeceased her, which could complicate things somewhat in certain states).  Hire a probate lawyer to get the estate into probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption