What to do if my mother recently had a stroke while driving which caused an accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother recently had a stroke while driving which caused an accident?

no injuries were reported at the scene of accident. mother’s insurance deemed the incident an “act of God” and therefore they are not liable for damages to the other party. They did pay for damages to my mother’s car. The other party’s insurance do not want to pay for their damage. We were notified that the other party is requesting my mother sign a statement that she was 100% at fault for the accident. I can only assume that they are considering suing and are now claiming injuries. My mother’s assets have not been put in a protective Trust; I know that is not an option right now. My husband is questioning if we could be financially affected personally.

Asked on November 19, 2015 under Accident Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You indicate that it was your mother's car, and also that your mother was driving. In that case, there should be no personal financial effect: you are not liable for the accidents of another person, even your mother, unless it was your car which she was driving or you in some way were at fault in causing the accident. Of course, anything which your mother ends up losing (e.g. ends up paying if she is sued) is money that would not potentially one day come to you, when your mother passes; so in that way, there could be an indirect effect on you in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption