If my motherdied andI have full survivorship rights for her mobile home, how can I get the person out who is living there?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my motherdied andI have full survivorship rights for her mobile home, how can I get the person out who is living there?

My mother died 2 months ago and this person was supposed to be out the end of last month. She is not even registered with the park office. She is trying to be a squatter. She hasn’t been paying lot rent. I just found out the money is coming out of my mom’s estate. She has been living there for free. I need to get her out so I can sell the mobile home. She won’t leave. Can I go in and remove her things? She has lived there for 2 months.

Asked on June 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It's not clear if she ever paid rent or not. If she did at one point, even if she stopped, she will be considered to be a "tenant".  However if your mother invited here to come and stay with her and this woman simply never left, then she will be considered to be a "licensee" (that is someone who was invited to live on the premises by the owner). In either event you must give her a notice to quit (typically 30 days and in writing). If she still remains after the vacate date then you will need to file an "unlawful detainer" action (i.e. eviction).

At this point you should discuss your case with an attorney that specializes in landlord-tenant matters.  You need to make sure that you follow all formal procedures for a legal eviction. So don't use any self-help such as attempting to lock her out, shutting off utilities, or removing her belongings. Otherwise you could fing yourself on the wrong side of a civil suit or even criminal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption