My mother passed away in September 08. She has a small ranch home in Westland, MI she left to 4 children. The home is still in her name.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mother passed away in September 08. She has a small ranch home in Westland, MI she left to 4 children. The home is still in her name.

We just want the home sold and split equally the profit. The home is paid for with a $7200.00 lien on it. It is only worth maybe $65,000.00. We can only find copies of the will not an original – but all 4 of us kids want the same thing. How can we get this done as cheaply as possible?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Estate Planning, Michigan


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I suggst that you file a claim in the probate court to open an estate for your mom and have the court determine that the copy of the will you have is authentice.  Name your self as the executor so that you can be in charge of the estate.  After the court determines the will is valid (have your siblings there to confirm for the judge. then you can go to a lawyer an have him draft a simple quit claim deed to you and your siblings so you can then sell the property.  You shouldnt need a lawyer to do the probate work, but you should have a lawyer doing to sale.  you may even want to have 2 lawyers (one to rep the estate and one to rep your siblings).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption