What to do if my mother passed away 4 months ago leaving my oldest sister trustee of her living Trust but money is missing and few debts have been paid off?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother passed away 4 months ago leaving my oldest sister trustee of her living Trust but money is missing and few debts have been paid off?

After cashing in my mother’s stock and depositing it with what money my mother had in her checking account, there was $31,000. The trust stated all monies left after her debits were paid was to be split equally between my 2 sisters and I, including the money that would come from the sale of her home (it is presently on the market). I became concerned about how my sister was spending the money when I found out the account was down to just over $6,000 and no large accounts have been paid off. I don’t know what to do; if I approach her about it she will only deny it.

Asked on August 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Trustees are expected to fulfill certain obligations to the parties involved and to fulfill their "fiduciary duties".  These obligations/duties include such things as:

  • Not using the funds for their own private purposes;
  • Avoid commingling Trust assets with personal assets;
  • Being fair and impartial and not desiring to profit from the relationship;
  • Maintaining accurate records, etc.


A Trustee who violates their duties can:

  • Be removed from their position and replaced by another trustee;
  • Required to pay damages for Trust losses due to their breach of duties; and
  • Possibly face criminal charges, depending on the nature and extent of the breach.


On the face of it, it would appear that your sister has breached her fiduciary duty. Accordingly, you can go to the probate court involved and ask for her to be removed and replaced. Aditionally, as a beneficiary you may bring a suit against her in court for any damages suffered by you as a result of her breach.

Since this can all get a bit complicated, you really should consult directly with an attorney who practices in the area. They can best inform you of your rights/remedies. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption