If my mother passed away a couple of weeks ago, what do I need to know before going to probate?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother passed away a couple of weeks ago, what do I need to know before going to probate?

The only heirs are my brother and myself. There is a house on 1 acre of land but there is a lien against the house less than value of property.

Asked on January 11, 2014 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to ensure she only owned the property and it hasn't been listed on the deed as joint tenants with you, your sibling or anyone else. At this point, simply file in probate and sell the home or speak to the lender along with any documentation you may have regarding being a testator to her estate or administrator and the copy of the death certificate. If you two are the only heirs, then any proceeds from the sale of the property and pay off of loan will result in payment jointly to the both of you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption